Why does my skin get so dry, especially in winter?
Dry skin occurs when skin doesn't retain sufficient levels of moisture — for example, because of frequent bathing, use of harsh soaps, aging, or certain medical conditions.
Winter time poses a special problem because humidity is low both outdoors and indoors, and the water content of the epidermis (the outermost layer of skin) tends to reflect the level of humidity around it.
You can tell when it is low humidity when you get an electric shock when you touch something metal.
When the air outside is cold and dry, the water in your skin evaporates more quickly; this makes your skin feel dry and tight, and makes it look flaky.
There are a number of ways to help keep your skin hydrated, our founder, lists her top tips:
- Use a Humidifier: Using a humidifier to add moisture to the indoor air may help to reduce the occurrence of dry, cracked skin.
- Use lukewarm water rather than hot water in the shower or bath. Hot water strips away the precious oils in your skin.
- Minimize harsh soaps and choose a bath oil instead. Bath oils not only add some luxury and relaxation to your bath time but they also boost hydration.
- Moisturise your skin with a natural and organic moisturiser or body oil. Make sure to avoid petrochemical oils such as Mineral Oil – also known as liquid paffin or liquidum parrifum]. Mineral oil acts like cling wrap on the skin, locking in moisture. What this means, though, is that it also traps in sweat and dirt, clogging pores and increasing the likelihood of acne and infection. Even the so-called 'cosmetic-grade' mineral oil is listed as comedogenic, meaning it clogs pores.You can read more about Mineral Oil in our Nasty Nine Guide here.
To help with extremely dry skin, try:
- Rapid Dermal Repair Kit to activate deep moisture and circulation for glowing, plump, supple and dewy skin.
- Bio Omega Body Contouring Oil to tone, tighten and smooth and leave your skin firm, hydrated and glowing.
- Peruvian Flower Nourishing Hand & Body Cream to combat dry skin and deeply nourish without leaving a greasy residue.
For best results, use the Rapid Dermal Repair Kit as follows:
CLEANSE | Daily
Massage Petitgrain Cream Cleanser onto DRY skin, rinse with warm water and pat dry.
REPAIR | Daily
Apply a generous amount of IDR Moisture Balm directly onto the face, neck and décolletage being sure to massage deeply into the skin.
PREP | 2-3 times/week
In the palm of your hand, mix Prebiotic + C powder with water to create a paste. Massage gently over skin in circular motions. Concentrate in particular on areas with pigmentation, fine lines or other concerns. Rinse or remove with warm cloth.
Make sure you continue to stay hydrated and take care of your skin to maximise its full potential!